Re: remove more archiving overhead

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: remove more archiving overhead
Date: 2022-09-20 04:52:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 12:49:58PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 10:39 AM Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
> > I wanted it to stop saying anything like the second paragraph, hence commit
> > d263ced. Implementing a proper archiving setup is not especially difficult,
> > and inviting the operator to work around a wrong implementation invites
> > damaging mistakes under time pressure.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly with the second sentence. I do think that we
> need to be a little careful not to be too prescriptive. Telling people
> what they have to do when they don't really have to do it often leads
> to non-compliance. It can be more productive to spell out the precise
> consequences of non-compliance, so I think Peter's proposal has some
> merit.

Good point. We could say it from a perspective like, "if you don't do this,
your setup will appear to work most of the time, but your operator will be
stuck with dangerous manual fixes at times."

> On the other hand, I don't see any real problem with the
> current language, either.
>
> Unfortunately, no matter what we do here, it is not likely that we'll
> soon be able to eliminate the phenomenon where people use a buggy
> home-grown archive_command, both because we've been encouraging that
> in our documentation for a very long time, and also because the people
> who are most likely to do something half-baked here are probably the
> least likely to actually read the updated documentation.

True. If I wanted to eliminate such setups, I would make the server
double-archive one WAL file each time the archive setup changes.