Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol
Date: 2022-09-13 18:25:30
Lists: pgsql-committers

Hi,

On 2022-09-11 11:19:25 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> We could also try to fall back to using -Wl,b,expall for extension modules.

expall doesn't work, because of our use of identifiers in reserved namespaces,
e.g. _PG_init:

expall
Exports all global symbols, except imported symbols, unreferenced symbols defined in archive members, and symbols beginning with an underscore
(_). You can export additional symbols by listing them in an export file or using the expfull option. This option does not affect symbols
exported by the autoexp option.

However, there also is 'expfull' - IIRC that causes problems when used for
postgres, but appears to be fine for .so's.

So we could work around the xlc 12.1 issue with something like the attached
patch. It passes at some of the tests, with both 32 and 64bit xlc 12.1, will
have to wait a while to see more

I think it'd be considerably better to just not support xlc < 13.1 though.

This won't fix sungazer, that just needs the perl wrapper removed...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-wip.patch text/x-diff 1.5 KB