Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v12

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v12
Date: 2022-08-31 18:11:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-08-31 10:28:05 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I found that the perl test modules are not installed. See attached patch to
> correct this.
>
> To the patches:
>
> 4e15ee0e24 Don't hardcode tmp_check/ as test directory for tap tests
> 1a3169bc3f Split TESTDIR into TESTLOGDIR and TESTDATADIR
>
> It's a bit weird that the first patch changes the meaning of TESTDIR
> and the second patch removes it. Maybe these patches should be
> squashed together?

Hm, to me they seem topically separate enough, but I don't have a strong
opinion on it.

> 581721fa99 meson: prereq: Add src/tools/gen_export.pl
>
> Still wondering about the whitespace changes I reported recently, but
> that can also be fine-tuned later.

I'll look into it in a bit.

> a1fb97a81b meson: Add meson based buildsystem
>
> I'm not a fan of all this business to protect the two build systems
> from each other. I don't like the build process touching a file under
> version control every time. How necessary is this? What happens
> otherwise?

I added it after just about everyone trying meson hit problems due to
conflicts between (past) in-tree configure builds and meson, due to files left
in tree (picking up the wrong .h files, cannot entirely be fixed with -I
arguments, due to the "" includes). By adding the relevant check to the meson
configure phase, and by triggering meson re-configure whenever an in-tree
configure build is done, these issues can be detected.

It'd of course be nicer to avoid the potential for such conflicts, but that
appears to be a huge chunk of work, see the bison/flex subthread.

So I don't really see an alternative.

> conversion_helpers.txt: should probably be removed now.

Done.

> doc/src/sgml/resolv.xsl: I don't understand what this is doing. Maybe
> at least add a comment in the file.

It's only used for building epubs. Perhaps I should extract that into a
separate patch as well? The relevant section is:

> #
> # epub
> #
>
> # This was previously implemented using dbtoepub - but that doesn't seem to
> # support running in build != source directory (i.e. VPATH builds already
> # weren't supported).
> if pandoc.found() and xsltproc.found()
> # XXX: Wasn't able to make pandoc successfully resolve entities
> # XXX: Perhaps we should just make all targets use this, to avoid repeatedly
> # building whole thing? It's comparatively fast though.
> postgres_full_xml = custom_target('postgres-full.xml',
> input: ['resolv.xsl', 'postgres.sgml'],
> output: ['postgres-full.xml'],
> depends: doc_generated + [postgres_sgml_valid],
> command: [xsltproc, '--path', '@OUTDIR@/', xsltproc_flags,
> '-o', '@OUTPUT@', '@INPUT@'],
> build_by_default: false,
> )

A noted, I couldn't make pandoc resolve our entities, so I used resolv.xsl
them, before calling pandoc.

I'll rename it to resolve-entities.xsl and add a comment.

> src/common/unicode/meson.build: The comment at the top of the file
> should be moved next to the files it is describing (similar to how it
> is in the makefile).

Done.

> I don't see CLDR_VERSION set anywhere. Is that part implemented?

No, I didn't implement the generation parts of contrib/unaccent. I started
tackling the src/common/unicode bits after John Naylor asked whether that
could be done, but considered that good enough...

> src/port/win32ver.rc.in: This is redundant with src/port/win32ver.rc.
> (Note that the latter is also used as an input file for text
> substitution. So having another file named *.in next to it would be
> super confusing.)

Yea, this stuff isn't great. I think the better solution, both for meson and
for configure, would be to move to do all the substitution to the C
preprocessor.

> src/tools/find_meson: Could use a brief comment what it does.

Added.

> src/tools/pgflex: Could use a not-brief comment about what it does,
> why it's needed. Also a comment where it's used. Also run this
> through pycodestyle.

Working on that.

> cd193eb3e8 meson: ci: Build both with meson and as before
>
> I haven't reviewed this one in detail. Maybe add a summary in the
> commit message, like these are the new jobs, these are the changes to
> existing jobs. It looks like there is more in there than just adding
> a few meson jobs.

I don't think we want to commit this as-is. It contains CI for a lot of
platforms - that's very useful for working on meson, but too much for
in-tree. I guess I'll split it into two, one patch for converting a reasonable
subset of the current CI tasks to meson and another to add (back) the current
array of tested platforms.

> If the above are addressed, I think this will be just about at the
> point where the above patches can be committed.

Woo!

> Everything past these patches I'm mentally postponing right now.

Makes sense.

Greetings,

Andres Freund