Re: pg_get_constraintdef: Schema qualify foreign tables unless pretty printing is enabled

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Lukas Fittl <lukas(at)fittl(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_get_constraintdef: Schema qualify foreign tables unless pretty printing is enabled
Date: 2022-08-10 08:58:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Aug-09, Lukas Fittl wrote:

> But I wonder, why do we have an explicit pretty printing flag on these
> functions, and PRETTYFLAG_SCHEMA in the code to represent this behavior.
> If we don't want pretty printing to affect schema qualification, why
> does that flag exist?

Because of CVE-2018-1058. See commit 815172ba8068.

I imagine that that commit only touched the minimum necessary to solve
the immediate security problem, but that further work is needed to make
PRETTYFLAG_SCHEMA become a fully functional gadget; but that would
require that the whole of ruleutils.c (and everything downstream from
it) behaves sanely. In other words, I think your patch is too small.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/