Re: make update-po@master stops at pg_upgrade

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: make update-po@master stops at pg_upgrade
Date: 2022-08-08 17:46:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Aug-08, Tom Lane wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:

> > Now that I did the translation chores again after a few years I am
> > reminded of a point about this argument: in reality, few people ever
> > run this recipe manually (I know I never do), because it's easier to
> > grab the already-merged files from the NLS website. It all happens
> > mechanically and there's nobody leaving random junnk files.
>
> Hmm, so where does the NLS website get its data?

Well, the NLS website does invoke the recipe. Just not manually.

> I'd be all for flushing the recipe altogether if no one uses it.
> However, the existence of this thread suggests otherwise.

I just meant it's not normally run manually. But if you do run it
manually, and you translate a file that has a few extra messages because
of the hypothetical junk source file, then you'll upload a catalog with
those extra messages; these extra messages will be dropped the next time
your file is merged through the NLS website. Maybe you'll do some extra
work (translating useless messages) but there'll be no harm.

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/