Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: noah(at)leadboat(dot)com, tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com, petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences
Date: 2022-08-08 08:56:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Mon, 08 Aug 2022 17:33:22 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> If WaitForWALToBecomeAvailable returned by promotion, ReadPageInteral
> misses the chance to inavlidate reader-state. That state is not an
> error while in StandbyMode.

Mmm... Maybe I wanted to say: (Still I'm not sure the rewrite works..)

If WaitForWALToBecomeAvailable returned by promotion, ReadPageInteral
would miss the chance to invalidate reader-state. When XLogPageRead
is called in blocking mode while in StandbyMode (that is, the
traditional condition) , the function continues retrying until it
succeeds, or returns XLRAD_FAIL if promote is triggered. In other
words, it was not supposed to return non-failure while the header
validation is failing while in standby mode. But while in nonblocking
mode, the function can return non-failure with lastSourceFailed =
true, which seems wrong.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi