Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Josef Šimánek <josef(dot)simanek(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v
Date: 2022-08-06 03:53:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-10-31 16:24:48 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> - support for building docs.
> I couldn't get dbtoepub work in a vpath style build, so I changed that
> to also use pandoc. No idea if anybody uses the epub rules?

combing through various FIXMEs in the meson patch I started to look into docs
again. A few questions / noteworthy points:

- I still haven't gotten dbtoepub to work in vpath style builds (epub
generation is instead using pandoc). Could somebody using these comment on
the quality difference?

We don't seem to offer these for download anywhere...

Worth noting that dbtoepub takes approximately forever (>25min). Not that
pandoc is fast, but ...

Unfortunately pandoc doesn't understand <part> level stuff. That'd probably
easy enough to tweak, but ...

- We have logic to change the man section (grep for sqlmansect) for some
platforms. The only remaining platform is solaris. I'm inclined to not
implement that.

- I've not implemented the texinfo targets - don't think they're really used?

Greetings,

Andres Freund