Re: Race between KeepFileRestoredFromArchive() and restartpoint

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Race between KeepFileRestoredFromArchive() and restartpoint
Date: 2022-08-04 06:24:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 07:37:27AM -0700, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 10:14:22AM -0400, David Steele wrote:

> > >Perhaps. It's sad to have multiple people deep-diving into something fixed on
> > >HEAD. On the other hand, I'm not eager to spend risk-of-backpatch points on
> > >this. One alternative would be adding an errhint like "This is known to
> > >happen occasionally during archive recovery, where it is harmless." That has
> > >an unpolished look, but it's low-risk and may avoid deep-dive efforts.
> >
> > I think in this case a HINT might be sufficient to at least keep people from
> > wasting time tracking down a problem that has already been fixed.

Here's a patch to add that HINT. I figure it's better to do this before next
week's minor releases. In the absence of objections, I'll push this around

> > However, there is another issue [1] that might argue for a back patch if
> > this patch (as I believe) would fix the issue.
>
> > [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHJZqBDxWfcd53jm0bFttuqpK3jV2YKWx%3D4W7KxNB4zzt%2B%2BqFg%40mail.gmail.com
>
> That makes sense. Each iteration of the restartpoint recycle loop has a 1/N
> chance of failing. Recovery adds >N files between restartpoints. Hence, the
> WAL directory grows without bound. Is that roughly the theory in mind?

On further reflection, I don't expect it to happen that way. Each failure
message is LOG-level, so the remaining recycles still happen. (The race
condition can yield an ERROR under PreallocXlogFiles(), but recycling is
already done at that point.)

Attachment Content-Type Size
XLogFileInit6-hint-v1.patch text/plain 2.1 KB