Re: Cirrus CI (Windows help wanted)

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cirrus CI (Windows help wanted)
Date: 2022-07-31 20:31:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-07-28 19:49:43 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 09:04:51AM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > On 1/5/21 11:19 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems we can make our own, either on-the-fly with caching, or
> > > hosted somewhere, like this:
> > >
> > > https://cirrus-ci.org/guide/docker-builder-vm/#dockerfile-as-a-ci-environment
> >
> > OK, I got this working.
>
> I tried this to use the "dockerfile-as-a-ci-environment" process, to see if it
> would allow cirrus to start windows builds without the 4 minute delay that we
> currently have.

I don't see how it'd fix that delay - the delay is from pulling down the
docker container onto the host. That's independent of the method of building
the container. The only thing making this faster is reducing the size of the
docker container. There's a bunch we could do on that front - e.g. removing
arm specific tools and debug symbols from the various layers (afaict there's
no option not to install them).

We could try to transition to using full VMs instead of docker containers (gcp
fetches the image data on demand instead of ahead-of-time), but that'd likely
be nontrivial due to licensing etc.

> But it failed like:
>
> https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5622728425209856?logs=push#L16
> [00:09:53.675] unauthorized: You don't have the needed permissions to perform this operation, and you may have invalid credentials. To authenticate your request, follow the steps in:
> https://cloud.google.com/container-registry/docs/advanced-authentication
>
> Does this require tying my github account to a google account ?
> Or paying cirrusci ? Or ??

Not sure what the problem here is - it worked for me in the past.

Greetings,

Andres Freund