Re: [Commitfest 2022-07] Patch Triage: Needs Review, Part 1

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Gareth Palmer <gareth(dot)palmer3(at)gmail(dot)com>, Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ekaterina Sokolova <e(dot)sokolova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alexander Pyhalov <a(dot)pyhalov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Commitfest 2022-07] Patch Triage: Needs Review, Part 1
Date: 2022-07-29 17:21:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Jacob,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:08:08AM -0700, Jacob Champion wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 11:38 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > > - Add extra statistics to explain for Nested Loop
> > > https://commitfest.postgresql.org/38/2765/
> > >
> > > [...]
> >
> > As I mentioned in [1], this patch breaks the current assumption that
> > INSTRUMENT_ALL will lead to statement-level metrics that are generally useful.
> > According to the benchmark, the proposed patch would add a 1.5% overhead for
> > pg_stat_statements or any other similar extension that relies on INSTRUMENT_ALL
> > for no additional information, and I don't think it's acceptable.
>
> (I'm missing the [1] link.)

Ah sorry I forgot to include it, here it's:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220307050830.zahd57wbvezu2d6r%40jrouhaud.

>From skimming the end of the thread, it
> looks like Ekaterina responded to that concern and was hoping for
> feedback. If you still think it doesn't go far enough, would you mind
> dropping a note in the thread? Then we can mark WoA and go from there.

I think that the problem still exist, unfortunately the benchmark done only
tests various EXPLAIN commands and not normal query execution with pgss
enabled. I will double check and reply on the thread tomorrow!