Re: Add WAL recovery messages with log_wal_traffic GUC (was: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display)

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add WAL recovery messages with log_wal_traffic GUC (was: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display)
Date: 2022-07-18 23:01:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 09:10:52AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I suggest that if log_startup_progress_interval doesn't meet your
> needs here, we should try to understand why not and maybe enhance it,
> instead of adding a separate facility.

+1. AFAICT it should be possible to make the log_startup_progress_interval
machinery extensible enough to be reused for several other tasks that can
take a while but have little visibility.

Since this thread has been inactive for over 2 months, I'm marking the
commitfest entry as Waiting on Author.

--
Nathan Bossart