Re: standby recovery fails (tablespace related) (tentative patch and discussion)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz, rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: standby recovery fails (tablespace related) (tentative patch and discussion)
Date: 2022-07-15 07:56:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Jul-15, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:

> At Thu, 14 Jul 2022 23:47:40 +0200, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote in
> > Here's a couple of fixups. 0001 is the same as before. In 0002 I think
>
> Thanks!
>
> + if (!S_ISLNK(st.st_mode))
> + #else
> + if (!pgwin32_is_junction(path))
> + #endif
> + elog(ignore_invalid_pages ? WARNING : PANIC,
> + "real directory found in pg_tblspc directory: %s", de->d_name);
>
> A regular file with an oid-name also causes this error. Doesn't
> something like "unexpected non-(sym)link entry..." work?

Hmm, good point. I also wonder if we need to cater for using the term
"junction point" rather than "symlink" when under Windows.

> > CheckTablespaceDirectory ends up easier to read if we split out the test
> > for validity of the link. Looking at that again, I think we don't need
> > to piggyback on ignore_invalid_pages, which is already a stretch, so
> > let's not -- instead we can use allow_in_place_tablespaces if users need
> > a workaround. So that's 0003 (this bit needs more than zero docs,
> > however.)
>
> The result of 0003 looks good.

Great, will merge.

> 0002:
> +is_path_tslink(const char *path)
>
> What the "ts" of tslink stands for? If it stands for tablespace, the
> function is not specific for table spaces.

Oh, of course.

> We already have
>
> + errmsg("could not stat file \"%s\": %m", path));
>
> I'm not sure we need such correctness, but what is failing there is
> lstat.

I'll have a look at what we use for lstat failures in other places.

> I found similar codes in two places in backend and one place
> in frontend. So couldn't it be moved to /common and have a more
> generic name?

I'll have a look at those. I had the same instinct initially ...

> - dir = AllocateDir(tblspc_path);
> - while ((de = ReadDir(dir, tblspc_path)) != NULL)
> + dir = AllocateDir("pg_tblspc");
> + while ((de = ReadDir(dir, "pg_tblspc")) != NULL)
>
> xlog.c uses the macro XLOGDIR. Why don't we define TBLSPCDIR?

Oh yes, let's do that. I'd even backpatch that, to avoid a future
backpatching gotcha.

> - for (p = de->d_name; *p && isdigit(*p); p++);
> - if (*p)
> + if (strspn(de->d_name, "0123456789") != strlen(de->d_name))
> continue;
>
> The pattern "strspn != strlen" looks kind of remote, or somewhat
> pedantic..
>
> + char path[MAXPGPATH + 10];
> ..
> - snprintf(path, MAXPGPATH, "%s/%s", tblspc_path, de->d_name);
> + snprintf(path, sizeof(path), "pg_tblspc/%s", de->d_name);
>
> I don't think we need the extra 10 bytes.

I forgot to mention this, but I just copied these bits from some other
place that processes pg_tblspc entries. It seemed to me that the
bodiless for loop was a bit too suspicious-looking.

> A bit paranoic, but we can check the return value to confirm the
> d_name is fully stored in the buffer.

Hmm ... I don't think we need to care about that in this patch. This
coding pattern is already being used in other places. If we want to
change that, let's do it everywhere, and not in an unrelated
backpatchable bug fix.

> > After all this, I'm not sure what to think of dbase_redo. At line 3102,
> > is the directory supposed to exist or not? I'm confused as to what is
> > the expected state at that point. I rewrote this, but now I think my
> > rewrite continues to be confusing, so I'll have to think more about it.
>
> I'm not sure l3102 exactly points, but haven't we chosen to create
> everything required to keep recovery going, whether it is supposed to
> exist or not?

I mean just after the two stat() calls for the target directory.

> > Another aspect are the tests. Robert described a scenario where the
> > previously committed version of this patch created trouble. Do we have
> > a test case to cover that problematic case? I think we should strive to
> > cover it, if possible.
>
> I counldn't recall that clearly and failed to dig out from the thread,
> but doesn't the "creating everything needed" strategy naturally save
> that case? We could add that test, but it seems to me a little
> cumbersome to confirm the test correctly detect that case..

Well, I *hope* it does ... but hope is no strategy, and I've frequently
been on the wrong side when trusting that untested code does what I
think it does.

Thanks for reviewing,

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"It takes less than 2 seconds to get to 78% complete; that's a good sign.