Re: fix stats_fetch_consistency value in postgresql.conf.sample

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fix stats_fetch_consistency value in postgresql.conf.sample
Date: 2022-07-13 23:54:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 08:46:02AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 12:30:00PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > How did you make this list ? Was it by excluding things that failed for you ?
> >
> > cfbot is currently failing due to io_concurrency on windows.
> > I think there are more GUC which should be included here.
> >
> > http://cfbot.cputube.org/kyotaro-horiguchi.html
>
> FWIW, I am not really a fan of making this test depend on a hardcoded
> list of GUCs. The design strength of the existing test is that we
> don't have such a dependency now, making less to think about in terms
> of maintenance in the long-term, even if this is now run
> automatically.

It doesn't really need to be stated that an inclusive list wouldn't be useful.

That's a list of GUCs to be excluded.
Which is hardly different from the pre-existing list of exceptions.

# Ignore some exceptions.
next if $param_name eq "include";
next if $param_name eq "include_dir";
next if $param_name eq "include_if_exists";

-- Exceptions are transaction_*.
SELECT name FROM tab_settings_flags
WHERE NOT no_show_all AND no_reset_all
ORDER BY 1;
name
transaction_deferrable
transaction_isolation
transaction_read_only
(3 rows)

How else do you propose to make this work for guc whose defaults vary by
platform in guc.c or in initdb ?

--
Justin