Re: Building PostgreSQL in external directory is broken?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Building PostgreSQL in external directory is broken?
Date: 2022-07-13 12:19:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Jul-13, Alexander Korotkov wrote:

> results in an error
>
> .../src/pgbld/../postgresql/src/include/utils/elog.h:73:10: fatal
> error: utils/errcodes.h: No such file or directory
> 73 | #include "utils/errcodes.h"

Probably what is happening here is that you have build artifacts in the
source tree after having built there, and that confuses make so not
everything is rebuilt correctly when you call it from the external build
dit. I suggest to "git clean -dfx" your source tree, then you can rerun
configure/make from the external builddir.

FWIW building in external dirs works fine. I use it all the time.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Once again, thank you and all of the developers for your hard work on