Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes
Date: 2022-07-11 17:39:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 11:41:08PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 08:31:17PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> > | Store server-level statistics in shared memory (Kyotaro Horiguchi, Andres Freund, Melanie Plageman)
> >
> > Should this be called "cumulative" statistics? As in b3abca68106d518ce5d3c0d9a1e0ec02a647ceda.
>
> Uh, they are counters, which I guess is cummulative, but that doesn't
> seem very descriptive. The documentation call it the statistics
> collector, but I am not sure we even have that anymore with an in-memory
> implementation. I am kind of not sure what to call it.

What I was trying to say is that it's now called the cumulative stats system.

> > | New function
> >
> > "The new function .." (a few times)
>
> Uh, I only see it once.

There's still a couple of these without "The".

> > Should any of these be listed as incompatible changes (some of these I asked
> > before, but the others are from another list).

> > ccd10a9bfa5 Fix enforcement of PL/pgSQL variable CONSTANT markings (Tom Lane)
>
> I didn't see not enforcing constant as an incompatibility, but rather a
> bug.

Yes it's a bug, but it's going to be seen as a compatibility issue for someone
whose application breaks. The same goes for other things I mentioned.

> > 376ce3e404b Prefer $HOME when looking up the current user's home directory.
>
> Uh, I didn't think so.
>
> > 7844c9918a4 psql: Show all query results by default
>
> Same.
>
> > 17a856d08be Change aggregated log format of pgbench.
>
> We have a pgbench section and I can't see it. I am trying to keep
> incompatiblities as things related to in-production problems or
> surprises.
>
> > ? 73508475d69 Remove pg_atoi()
>
> I don't see who would care except for internals folks.
>
> > ? aa64f23b029 Remove MaxBackends variable in favor of GetMaxBackends() function.
>
> Same.
>
> > ? d816f366bc4 psql: Make SSL info display more compact
>
> I did look at that but considered that this wouldn't be something that
> would break anything.
>
> > ? 27b02e070fd pg_upgrade: Don't print progress status when output is not a tty.
>
> Same.
>
> > ? ab4fd4f868e Remove 'datlastsysoid'.
>
> Seemed too internal.

FYI, removal of this column broke a tool one of my coworkers uses (navicat).
I'm told that the fix will be in navicat v16.1 (but their existing users will
need to pay to upgrade from v15).

--
Justin