Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size
Date: 2022-07-11 00:29:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-07-08 17:05:49 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Actually, it's not the same name: JsonCoercionsState vs
> JsonCoercionState. But I agree that it's a subtle enough difference that
> we should use something more obvious. Maybe JsonCoercionStates instead
> of JsonCoercionsState? The plural at the end would be harder to miss.

Given that it's a one-off use struct, why name it? Then we don't have to
figure out a name we never use.

I also still would like to understand why we need pre-allocated space for all
these types. How could multiple datums be coerced in an interleaved manner?
And if that's possible, why can't multiple datums of the same type be coerced
at the same time?

Greetings,

Andres Freund