Re: DropRelFileLocatorBuffers

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DropRelFileLocatorBuffers
Date: 2022-07-08 00:22:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 7 Jul 2022 08:36:14 -0400, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 4:44 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
> <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > While working on a patch, I met a function with the signature of:
> >
> > > DropRelFileLocatorBuffers(SMgrRelation smgr_reln, ForkNumber *forkNum,
> > > int nforks, BlockNumber *firstDelBlock)
> >
> > It was DropRelFileNodeBuffers(), which means "Drop buffers for a
> > RelFileNode", where RelFileNode means a storage or a (set of) file(s).
> > In that sense, "Drop buffers for a RelFile*Locator*" sounds a bit off
> > to me. Isn't it better change the name? RelFileLocator doesn't look
> > to be fit here.
> >
> > "DropRelFileBuffers" works better at least for me.. If it does, some
> > other functions need the same amendment.
>
> Have you looked at the commit message for
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=b0a55e43299c4ea2a9a8c757f9c26352407d0ccc
> ?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes if it is "RelFileLocator when we're talking about all the things
that are needed to locate a relation's files on disk,". I read this as
RelFileLocator is a kind of pointer to files. I thought RelFileNode
as a pointer as well as the storage itself. The difference of the two
for me could be analogized as the difference between "DropFileBuffers"
and "DropFileNameBuffers". I think the latter is usually spelled as
"DropBuffersByFileNames" or such.

Though, I don't want to keep fighting any further if others don't feel
it uneasy ;)

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi