EINTR in ftruncate()

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: EINTR in ftruncate()
Date: 2022-07-01 15:41:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nicola Contu reported two years ago to pgsql-general[1] that they were
having sporadic query failures, because EINTR is reported on some system
call. I have been told that the problem persists, though it is very
infrequent. I propose the attached patch. Kyotaro proposed a slightly
different patch which also protects write(), but I think that's not
necessary.

Thomas M. produced some more obscure theories for other things that
could fail, but I think we should patch this problem first, which seems
the most obvious one, and deal with others if and when they are
reported.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMTZZh2V%2B0wJVgSqTVvXUAVMduF57Uxubvvw58%3DkbOae%2B53%2BQQ%40mail.gmail.com

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-retry-ftruncate.patch text/x-diff 1.2 KB