Re: CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY on partitioned index

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Alexander Pyhalov <a(dot)pyhalov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, 李杰(慎追) <adger(dot)lj(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, 曾文旌(义从) <wenjing(dot)zwj(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY on partitioned index
Date: 2022-06-28 18:33:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 06:07:08PM +0300, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> I've rebased patches and tried to fix issues I've seen. I've fixed reference
> after table_close() in the first patch (can be seen while building with
> CPPFLAGS='-DRELCACHE_FORCE_RELEASE').

Thanks for finding that.

The patches other than 0001 are more experimental, and need someone to check if
it's even a good approach to use, so I kept them separate from the essential
patch.

Your latest 0005 patch (mark intermediate partitioned indexes as valid) is
probably fixing a bug in my SKIPVALID patch, right ? I'm not sure whether the
SKIPVALID patch should be merged into 0001, and I've been awaiting feedback on
the main patch before handling progress reporting.

Sorry for not responding sooner. The patch saw no activity for ~11 months so I
wasn't prepared to pick it up in March, at least not without guidance from a
committer.

Would you want to take over this patch ? I wrote it following someone's
question, but don't expect that I'd use the feature myself. I can help review
it or try to clarify the organization of my existing patches (but still haven't
managed to work my way through your amendments to my patches).

Thanks for caring about partitioned DDL ;)

--
Justin