Re: gcc -ftabstop option

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: gcc -ftabstop option
Date: 2022-06-22 00:36:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:49:24 +0200, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote in
> I suggest that we add the gcc (also clang) option -ftabstop=4.
>
> This has two effects: First, it produces more accurate column numbers
> in compiler errors and correctly indents the code excerpts that the
> compiler shows with those. Second, it enables the compiler's
> detection of confusingly indented code to work more correctly. (But
> the latter is only a potential problem for code that does not use tabs
> for indentation, so it would be mostly a help during development with
> sloppy editor setups.)
>
> Attached is a patch to discover the option in configure.
>
> One bit of trickery not addressed yet is that we might want to strip
> out the option and not expose it through PGXS, since we don't know
> what whitespacing rules external code uses.
>
> Thoughts?

There's no strong reason for everyone to accept that change, but I
myself don't mind whether the option is applied or not.

There was a related discussion.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/BDE54C55-438C-48E9-B2A3-08EB3A0CBB9F%40yesql.se

> The -ftabstop option is (to a large extent, not entirely) to warn when tabs and
> spaces are mixed creating misleading indentation that the author didn't even
> notice due to tabwidth settings? ISTM we are better of getting these warnings
> than suppressing them.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi