Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v8

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v8
Date: 2022-04-29 18:00:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-04-27 21:56:27 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Here is a patch that adds in NLS.

Cool! I know very little about translations, so I was reticent tackling
this...

> For example, we could move the list of languages from the meson.build files
> into separate LINGUAS files, which could be shared with the makefile-based
> build system. I need to research this a bit more.

Yea, that'd be nice.

> The annoying thing is that the i18n module doesn't appear to have a way to
> communicate with feature options or dependencies, so there isn't a way to
> tell it to only do its things when some option is enabled, or conversely to
> check whether the module found the things it needs and to enable or disable
> an option based on that. So right now for example if you explicitly disable
> the 'nls' option, the binaries are built without NLS but the .mo files are
> still built and installed.

One partial way to deal with that, I think, would be to change all the
subdir('po') invocations to subdir('po', if_found: libintl). If we don't want
that for some reason, is there a reason a simple if libintl.found() wouldn't
work?

> In any case, this works for the main use cases and gets us a step forward,
> so it's worth considering.

Agreed.

Greetings,

Andres Freund