Re: BUG #16866: pg_basebackup Windows Server 20160

From: Takahiro Kitayama <kitayama(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16866: pg_basebackup Windows Server 20160
Date: 2022-04-20 02:56:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

PostgreSQL 14 has been fixed to handle files larger than 4GB on Windows,
but is not currently backported to previous versions.
In pgsql-bugs ML, considering this several months after the PostgreSQL 14 release 2021/9.
I would like to know about current status, and if there is no problem, please backport to past versions.

The excerpt below is an email about this matter.

Re: BUG #16866: pg_basebackup Windows Server 2016
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/YCsZIX2A2Ilsvfnl%40paquier.xyz#64134affb64b2ec286614648c2cd70f1

| From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
| To: ivan(dot)salvato(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
| Subject: Re: BUG #16866: pg_basebackup Windows Server 2016
| Date: 2021-02-16 01:00:17
| Lists: pgsql-bugs
|
| On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 03:12:10PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
| > Problem:
| > backup fails when the base.tar.gz achieve di 4 GB with pg_basebackup: error:
| > could not stat file
| > "W:\POSTGRES\pg_backup\Base-Backup_2021-02-05_103921/base.tar.gz": Unknown
| > error.
|

| This comes from the fact that Windows stat() is not able to handle
| files larger than 4GB by design, and the fact that pg_basebackup tries
| to make durable all the contents of a base backup when it is done
| streaming something on the target host. I bet that the failure you
| are seeing is the fsync() part for base.tar.gz.
|

| You can bypass that by using --no-sync as option, which would
| basically emulate what Postgres <= 9.6 is doing. In Postgres 14, the
| emulation of stat() has been fixed to handle the case of files larger
| than 4GB:
| https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=bed90759fcbcd72d4d06969eebab81e47326f9a2
|

| This is arguably a bugfix, so we may consider a backpatch in the
| future, but knowing how invasive the fix is we are still in a phase
| where we want to have some dust settle on this change and Windows has
| its own way to do weird things all the time. IMO, It may be better to
| revisit that a couple of months after 14 is released so as there is
| some feedback from the field with this change.
| --
| Michael

Thanks in advance
--
Takahiro Kitayama <kitayama(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan