Re: avoid multiple hard links to same WAL file after a crash

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: avoid multiple hard links to same WAL file after a crash
Date: 2022-04-18 18:23:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 04:48:35PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Saying that, it would be nice to see durable_rename_excl() gone as it
> has created quite a bit of pain for us in the past years.

Yeah, I think this is the right thing to do. Patch upthread [0].

For back-branches, I suspect we'll want to remove all uses of
durable_rename_excl() but leave the function around for any extensions that
are using it. Of course, we'd also need a big comment imploring folks not
to add any more callers. Another option would be to change the behavior of
durable_rename_excl() to something that we think is safer (e.g., stat then
rename), but that might just introduce a different set of problems.

[0] https://postgr.es/m/20220408194345.GA1541826%40nathanxps13

--
Nathan Bossart