Re: test/isolation/expected/stats_1.out broken for me

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: test/isolation/expected/stats_1.out broken for me
Date: 2022-04-07 16:57:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-04-07 12:49:07 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net writes:
> > Running installcheck-world on an unrelated patch, I noticed a failure
> > here in test/isolation/expected/stats_1.out (this is line 3102):
>
> So what non-default build options are you using?
>
> The only isolationcheck failure remaining in the buildfarm is
> prion's, which I can reproduce here by building with
> -DRELCACHE_FORCE_RELEASE -DCATCACHE_FORCE_RELEASE as it does.
> Looking at the nature of the diffs, this is not too surprising;
> the expected output appears to rely on a cache flush not happening
> quickly in s2.

Yea :(. I tested debug_discard_caches, but not -DRELCACHE_FORCE_RELEASE
-DCATCACHE_FORCE_RELEASE.

Not quite sure what to do about it - it's intentionally trying to test the
case of no invalidations being processed, as that's an annoying edge case with
functions. Perhaps wrapping the function call of the "already dropped"
function in another function that catches the error would do the trick? It'd
be more easily silently broken, but still be better than not having the test.

Greetings,

Andres Freund