Re: shared-memory based stats collector - v70

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: shared-memory based stats collector - v70
Date: 2022-04-06 22:12:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-04-05 20:00:08 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> It'll be a few hours to get to the main commit - but except for 0001 it
> doesn't make sense to push without intending to push later changes too. I
> might squash a few commits togther.

I just noticed an existing incoherency that I'm wondering about fixing as part
of 0007 "pgstat: prepare APIs used by pgstatfuncs for shared memory stats."

The SQL functions to reset function and relation stats
pg_stat_reset_single_table_counters() and
pg_stat_reset_single_function_counters() respectively both make use of
pgstat_reset_single_counter().

Note that the SQL function uses plural "counters" (which makes sense, it
resets all counters for that object), whereas the C function they call to
perform the the reset uses singular.

Similarly pg_stat_reset_slru(), pg_stat_reset_replication_slot(),
pg_stat_reset_subscription_stats() SQL function use
pgstat_reset_subscription_counter(), pgstat_reset_replslot_counter() and
pgstat_reset_subscription_counter() to reset either the stats for one or all
SLRUs/slots.

This is relevant for the commit mentioned above because it separates the
functions to reset the stats for one slru / slot / sub from the function to
reset all slrus / slots / subs. Going with the existing naming I'd just named
them pgstat_reset_*_counters(). But that doesn't really make sense.

If it were just existing code I'd just not touch this for now. But because the
patch introduces further functions, I'd rather not introducing more weird
function names.

I'd go for
pgstat_reset_slru_counter() -> pgstat_reset_slru()
pgstat_reset_subscription_counter() -> pgstat_reset_subscription()
pgstat_reset_subscription_counters() -> pgstat_reset_all_subscriptions()
pgstat_reset_replslot_counter() -> pgstat_reset_replslot()
pgstat_reset_replslot_counters() -> pgstat_reset_all_replslots()

We could leave out the _all_ and just use plural too, but I think it's a bit
nicer with _all_ in there.

Not quite sure what to do with pgstat_reset_single_counter(). I'd either go
for the minimal pgstat_reset_single_counters() or pgstat_reset_one()?

Greetings,

Andres Freund