Re: Higher level questions around shared memory stats

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Higher level questions around shared memory stats
Date: 2022-04-01 23:21:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-03-29 12:17:27 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Separate from the minutia in [1] I'd like to discuss a few questions of more
> general interest. I'll post another question or two later.

5) What does track_counts = off mean?

I just was trying to go through the shared memory stats patch to ensure
pgstat_track_counts has the same effect as before. It's kinda hard to discern
what exactly it supposed to be doing because it's quite inconsistently
applied.

- all "global" stats ignore it (archiver, bgwriter, checkpointer, slru wal)
- subscription, replication slot stats ignore it
- *some* database level stats pay heed
- pgstat_report_autovac, pgstat_report_connect don't
- pgstat_report_recovery_conflict, pgstat_report_deadlock,
pgstat_report_checksum_failures_in_db do respect it
- function stats have their own setting

Unless we conclude something else I'll make sure the patch is "bug
compatible".

Greetings,

Andres Freund