Re: Higher level questions around shared memory stats

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Higher level questions around shared memory stats
Date: 2022-03-30 23:35:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-03-29 12:17:27 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Separate from the minutia in [1] I'd like to discuss a few questions of more
> general interest. I'll post another question or two later.

4) What to do with the stats_temp_directory GUC / PG_STAT_TMP_DIR define /
pg_stats_temp directory?

With shared memory stats patch, the stats system itself doesn't need it
anymore. But pg_stat_statements also uses PG_STAT_TMP_DIR to store
pgss_query_texts.stat. That file can be fairly hot, so there's benefit in
having something like stats_temp_directory.

I'm inclined to just leave the guc / define / directory around, with a
note saying that it's just used by extensions?

Greetings,

Andres Freund