Re: pgsql: Add function to pump IPC process until string match

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <dgustafsson(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add function to pump IPC process until string match
Date: 2022-03-29 22:58:19
Lists: pgsql-committers

Hi,

On 2022-02-23 13:32:03 +0000, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Add function to pump IPC process until string match
>
> Refactor the recovery tests to not carry a local duplicated copy of
> the pump_until function which pumps a process until a defined string
> is seen on a stream. This reduces duplication, and is in preparation
> for another patch which will also use this functionality.

I'm a bit disappointed by the moved function not having the diagnostic output
that at least the version in 013_crash_restart.pl had. How is one supposed to
figure out what caused a timeout with the new central version? Given that
timeouts are the only way tests using pump_until() fail, that's not great.

Greetings,

Andres Freund