Re: Allow file inclusion in pg_hba and pg_ident files

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Allow file inclusion in pg_hba and pg_ident files
Date: 2022-03-28 07:43:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 04:20:07PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:

> > Note that those tests fail on Windows (and I'm assuming on EXEC_BACKEND
> > builds), as they're testing invalid files which by definition prevent any
> > further connection attempt. I'm not sure what would be best to do here, apart
> > from bypassing the invalid config tests on such platforms. I don't think that
> > validating that trying to connect on such platforms when an invalid
> > pg_hba/pg_ident file brings anything.
>
> Hmm, indeed. I have been looking at that and that's annoying. As you
> mentioned off-list, in order to know if a build has an emulation of
> fork() that would avoid failures with new connection attempts after
> including some dummy entries in pg_hba.conf or pg_ident.conf, we'd
> need to look at EXEC_BACKEND (well, mostly), as of:
> - CFLAGS in pg_config, or a query on pg_config() (does not work with
> MSVC as CFLAGS is not set there).
> - A potential check on pg_config{_manual}.h.
> - Perhaps an extra dependency on $windows_os, discarding incorrectly
> cygwin that should be able to work.

Yeah, detecting !cygwin-Windows or EXEC_BACKEND in the TAP tests is quite hard.

> We could use a failure path for each psql command rather than a SKIP
> block, as you told me, if the psql fails and check that we get some
> error strings related to the loading of auth files. However, I am
> scared of this design in the long-term as it could cause the tests to
> pass with a failure triggered on platforms and/or configurations where
> we should have a success. So, I am tempted to drop the ball for now
> with the TAP part.

Ok. We could still keep the tests for the valid lines part though?

> The patch still has value for the end-user. I have checked the
> backend part, and I did not notice any obvious issue. There is one
> thing that I am wondering though: should we change the two queries in
> sysviews.sql so as we check that there are zero errors in the two
> views when the files are parsed? This simple change would avoid
> mistakes for users running installcheck on a production installation.

Do you mean something like

SELECT count(*) > 0 AS ok,
count(*) FILTER (WHERE error IS NOT NULL) = 0 AS has_no_error
FROM pg_hba_file_rules ;

and similar for pg_ident_rule_mappings?