Re: [HACKERS] WIP aPatch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr, thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com, m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WIP aPatch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors
Date: 2022-03-28 06:50:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> > Even applying this patch, "make postgres-A4.pdf" arises the warning on my
>> > machine. After some investigations, I found that previous document had a break
>> > after 'num_transactions', but it has been removed due to this commit.
>>
>> Yes, your patch removed "&zwsp;".
>>
>> > So,
>> > I would like to get back this as it was. I attached the patch.
>>
>> This produces errors. Needs ";" postfix?
>
> Oops. Yes, it needs ';'. Also, I found another "&zwsp;" dropped.
> I attached the fixed patch.

Basic problem with this patch is, this may solve the issue with pdf
generation but this does not solve the issue with HTML generation. The
PDF manual of pgbench has ridiculously long line, which Tom Lane
complained too:

interval_start num_transactions​ sum_latency sum_latency_2 min_latency max_latency​ { failures | serialization_failures deadlock_failures } [ sum_lag sum_lag_2 min_lag max_lag [ skipped ] ] [ retried retries ]

Why can't we use just line feeds instead of &zwsp;? Although it's not
a command usage but the SELECT manual already uses line feeds to
nicely break into multiple lines of command usage.

Best reagards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan