Re: Problem with moderation of messages with patched attached.

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with moderation of messages with patched attached.
Date: 2022-03-19 18:48:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-03-03 13:37:35 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2022 at 13:28, Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > The mail system doesn't have the capability to apply different moderation
> >> rules for people in that way I'm afraid.
> >>
> > Maybe then 2MB for everyone? Otherwise it's not so convenient. Lead to
> > answers before the questions in the thread [1], seems weird.
> >

> Then someone will complain if their patch is 2.1MB! How often are messages
> legitimately over 1MB anyway, even with a patch? I don't usually moderate
> -hackers, so I don't know if this is a common thing or not.

I don't think it's actually that rare. But most contributors writing that
large patchsets know about the limit and work around it - I gzip patches when
I see the email getting too large. But it's more annoying to work with for
reviewers.

It's somewhat annoying. If you e.g. append a few graphs of performance changes
and a patch it's pretty easy to get into the range where compressing won't
help anymore.

And sure, any limit may be hit by somebody. But 1MB across the whole email
seems pretty low these days.

Greetings,

Andres Freund