Re: Unhyphenation of crash-recovery

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unhyphenation of crash-recovery
Date: 2022-03-17 07:45:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 17 Mar 2022 07:42:42 +0100, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote in
> On 16.03.22 02:25, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > Hello, this is a derived topic from [1], summarized as $SUBJECT.
> > This just removes useless hyphens from the words
> > "(crash|emergency)-recovery". We don't have such wordings for "archive
> > recovery" This patch fixes non-user-facing texts as well as
> > user-facing ones.
>
> Most changes in this patch are not the correct direction. The hyphens
> are used to group compound adjectives before nouns. For example,
>
> simple crash-recovery cases
>
> means
>
> simple (crash recovery) cases
>
> rather than
>
> simple crash (recovery cases)
>
> if it were without hyphens.

Really? The latter recognization doesn't seem to make sense. I might
be too-trained so that I capture "(crash|archive|blah) recovery" as
implicit compound words. But anyway there's no strong reason to be
aggressive to unhyphenate compound words.

"point-in-time-recovery" and "(during) emergency-recovery operations"
seem like better be unhyphnated, but now I'm not sure it is really so.

Thanks for the comments.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi