Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

From: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, "r(dot)takahashi_2(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <r(dot)takahashi_2(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance
Date: 2022-03-14 10:26:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Zhihong Yu,

I already replied to your comments before, but I forgot to include
the list to CC, so I resend the same again. Sorry for the duplicate
emails.

On Thu, 3 Feb 2022 09:51:52 -0800
Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com> wrote:

> For CreateIndexOnIMMV():
>
> + ereport(NOTICE,
> + (errmsg("could not create an index on materialized view
> \"%s\" automatically",
> + return;
> + }
>
> Should the return type be changed to bool so that the caller knows whether
> the index creation succeeds ?
> If index creation is unsuccessful, should the call
> to CreateIvmTriggersOnBaseTables() be skipped ?

CreateIvmTriggersOnBaseTables() have to be called regardless
of whether an index is created successfully or not, so I think
CreateindexOnIMMV() doesn't have to return the result for now.

> For check_ivm_restriction_walker():
>
> + break;
> + expression_tree_walker(node, check_ivm_restriction_walker,
> NULL);
> + break;
>
> Something is missing between the break and expression_tree_walker().

Yes, it's my mistake during making the patch-set. I fixed it in the
updated patch I attached in the other post.

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>