Re: refactoring basebackup.c (zstd workers)

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Dipesh Pandit <dipesh(dot)pandit(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Jeevan Ladhe <jeevanladhe(dot)os(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, "Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP)" <noriyoshi(dot)shinoda(at)hpe(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: refactoring basebackup.c (zstd workers)
Date: 2022-03-14 16:35:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 09:41:35PM +0530, Dipesh Pandit wrote:
> I tried to implement support for parallel ZSTD compression. The
> library provides an option (ZSTD_c_nbWorkers) to specify the
> number of compression workers. The number of parallel
> workers can be set as part of compression parameter and if this
> option is specified then the library performs parallel compression
> based on the specified number of workers.
>
> User can specify the number of parallel worker as part of
> --compress option by appending an integer value after at sign (@).
> (-Z, --compress=[{client|server}-]{gzip|lz4|zstd}[:LEVEL][(at)WORKERS])

I suggest to use a syntax that's more general than that, maybe something like

:[level=]N,parallel=N,flag,flag,...

For example, someone may want to use zstd "long" mode or (when it's released)
rsyncable mode, or specify fine-grained compression parameters (strategy,
windowLog, hashLog, etc).

I hope the same syntax will be shared with wal_compression and pg_dump.
And libpq, if that patch progresses.

BTW, I think this may be better left for PG16.

--
Justin