Re: Allow async standbys wait for sync replication

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, SATYANARAYANA NARLAPURAM <satyanarlapuram(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow async standbys wait for sync replication
Date: 2022-03-12 22:33:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 06:01:23PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> To me it's architecturally the completely wrong direction. We should move in
> the *other* direction, i.e. allow WAL to be sent to standbys before the
> primary has finished flushing it locally. Which requires similar
> infrastructure to what we're discussing here.

I think this is a good point. After all, WALRead() has the following
comment:

* XXX probably this should be improved to suck data directly from the
* WAL buffers when possible.

Once you have all the infrastructure for that, holding back WAL replay on
async standbys based on synchronous replication might be relatively easy.

--
Nathan Bossart