Re: Issue with pg_stat_subscription_stats

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2022-03-12 20:15:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-03-12 08:28:35 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 2:14 AM Melanie Plageman
> <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > So, I noticed that pg_stat_reset_subscription_stats() wasn't working
> > properly, and, upon further investigation, I'm not sure the view
> > pg_stat_subscription_stats is being properly populated.
> >

> I have tried the below scenario based on this:
> Step:1 Create some data that generates conflicts and lead to apply
> failures and then check in the view:

I think the problem is present when there was *no* conflict
previously. Because nothing populates the stats entry without an error, the
reset doesn't have anything to set the stats_reset field in, which then means
that the stats_reset field is NULL even though stats have been reset.

I'll just repeat what I've said before: Making variable numbered stats
individiually resettable is a bad idea.

Greetings,

Andres Freund