Re: Naming of the different stats systems / "stats collector"

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Naming of the different stats systems / "stats collector"
Date: 2022-03-09 01:50:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-03-08 15:55:04 -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 1:54 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > One thing I'm not yet happy around the shared memory stats patch is
> > naming. Currently a lot of comments say things like:
> >
> > * [...] We convert to
> > * microseconds in PgStat_Counter format when transmitting to the
> > collector.
> >
> > or
> >
> > # - Query and Index Statistics Collector -
> >
> > or
> >
> > /* ----------
> > * pgstat_report_subscription_drop() -
> > *
> > * Tell the collector about dropping the subscription.
> > * ----------
> > */
> >

> > the immediate question for the patch is what to replace "collector" with.
> >

> Not really following the broader context here so this came out of nowhere
> for me. What is the argument for changing the status quo here? Collector
> seems like good term.

Sorry, probably should have shared a bit more context. The shared memory stats
patch removes the stats collector process - which seems to make 'collector'
not descriptive anymore...

It's still lossy in the sense that a crash will result in stats being lost and
inprecise in that counter updates can be delayed, but there won't be lost
stats due to UDP messages being thrown away under load anymore.

Greetings,

Andres Freund