Re: ltree_gist indexes broken after pg_upgrade from 12 to 13

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ltree_gist indexes broken after pg_upgrade from 12 to 13
Date: 2022-03-06 22:33:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-03-06 07:46:04 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> This is an area not currently touched by the buildfarm's cross version
> upgrade testing, which basically compares a pre-upgrade and post-upgrade
> dump of the databases. The upgraded cluster does contain
> contrib_regression_ltree.
>
> I'm open to suggestions on how we might improve the buildfarm's testing
> of upgraded indexes generally.

One thing that's likely worth doing as part of the cross version upgrade test,
even if it wouldn't even help in this case, is to run amcheck post
upgrade. Just dumping data isn't going to touch indices at all.

A sequence of
pg_upgrade; amcheck; upgrade all extensions; amcheck;
would make sense.

Greetings,

Andres Freund