Re: Adding CI to our tree (ccache)

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Adding CI to our tree (ccache)
Date: 2022-03-04 04:56:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 12:47:31PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2022-02-20 13:36:55 -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > Have you tried to use the yet-to-be-released ccache with MSVC ?
>
> Yes, it doesn't work, because it requires cl.exe to be used in a specific way
> (only a single input file, specific output file naming). Which would require a
> decent amount of changes to src/tools/msvc. I think it's more realistic with
> meson etc.

Did you get to the point that that causes a problem, or did you just realize
that it was a limitation that seems to preclude its use ? If so, could you
send the branch/commit you had ?

The error I'm getting when I try to use ccache involves .rst files, which don't
exist (and which ccache doesn't know how to find or ignore).
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5441491957972992

I gather this is the difference between "compiling with MSVC" and compiling
with a visual studio project.