Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks,Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net
Cc: ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com, smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de
Subject: Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks,Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks
Date: 2022-03-04 04:50:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> So, dropping plaintext password authentication support from libpq will
>> make it impossible for users to use the former method.
>
> Yes, just like dropping support for md5 would make it impossible for
> users to have their passwords be hashed with md5, which is an altogether
> good thing considering how easy it is to brute-force md5 these days.

I still don't understand why using plaintex password authentication
over SSL connection is considered insecure. Actually we have been
stating opposite in the manual:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/auth-password.html

"If the connection is protected by SSL encryption then password can be
used safely, though."

Best reagards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii