Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks
Date: 2022-03-01 21:39:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-02-25 13:40:54 -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 2/25/22 12:39 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > My point is that sending cleartext passwords over the wire is an
> > insecure-by-definition protocol that we shouldn't be encouraging
> > more use of.
>
> This is my general feeling as well. We just spent a bunch of effort adding,
> refining, and making SCRAM the default method. I think doing anything that
> would drive more use of sending plaintext passwords, even over TLS, is
> counter to that.

I want to again emphasize that, as proposed, a custom auth method can use
SCRAM if relevant for it, with a small amount of code. So the whole plaintext
discussion seems independent.

Samay, what do you think about updating the test plugin to do SCRAM instead of
plaintext, just to highlight that fact?

Greetings,

Andres Freund