Re: Time to drop plpython2?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to drop plpython2?
Date: 2022-02-16 19:58:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-02-16 15:43:19 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 15.02.22 22:40, Andres Freund wrote:
> > 1: plpython: Reject Python 2 during build configuration.
>
> There is a bit of redundancy in the new wording in installation.sgml:
>
> "The minimum required version is <productname>Python</productname> 3.2 or
> later."

I stared for a bit, and I just don't see the redundancy?

> There is also a small bit in install-windows.sgml that would be worth
> updating:
>
> <programlisting>
> $config->{python} = 'c:\python26';
> </programlisting>

Yea. I saw that but ended up with not updating it, because it already was out
of date ;). But I guess I'll just put 310 there or something.

> Other than that, this looks fine to me, and we should move forward with this
> now.

Cool, will apply 1) later today.

> > 2: plpython: Remove plpythonu, plpython2u extensions.
> > 3: plpython: Remove regression test infrastructure for Python 2.
>
> The removal of the Python 2 contrib extension variants ended up in patch 3,
> which seems incorrect.

Uh, huh. That was a mistake, not sure what happened...

Greetings,

Andres Freund