Re: make tuplestore helper function

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: make tuplestore helper function
Date: 2022-02-16 05:57:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 10:19:33AM -0500, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> > If the expectedDesc NULL check were an 0001 patch, then 0002 (the main patch)
> > would be even easier to review. Only foreign.c is different.
>
> I'll wait to do that if preferred by committer.
> Are you imagining that patch 0001 would only add the check for
> expectedDesc that is missing from pg_config() and text_to_table()?

Yes, that's what I meant, but I haven't been able to determine if a NULL check
should be added at all.

I found this commit message, which indicates that it shouldn't be used in every
case. I'm not clear when it should/not be used, though.

commit 60651e4cddbb77e8f1a0c7fc0be6a7e7bf626fe0
Author: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Date: Sat Oct 28 14:02:21 2017 -0400

Support domains over composite types in PL/Perl.

In passing, don't insist on rsi->expectedDesc being set unless we
actually need it; this allows succeeding in a couple of cases where
PL/Perl functions returning setof composite would have failed before,
and makes the error message more apropos in other cases.