Re: adding 'zstd' as a compression algorithm

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: adding 'zstd' as a compression algorithm
Date: 2022-02-15 18:55:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think the WAL patch (4035cd5d4) should support zstd if library support is
added. A supplementary patch for that already exists.
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/YNqWd2GSMrnqWIfx@paquier.xyz

There's also some in-progress patches:

- Konstantin and Daniil have a patch to add libpq compression, which ultimately
wants to use zstd.
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3499/

- I had a patch to add zstd to pg_dump, but I ended up storing backups to
ZFS+zstd rather than waiting to progress the patch.
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/32/2888/

Regarding the patch:

I suppose it should support windows, and whatever patches use zstd should
update the install instructions. See 9ca40dcd4, 02a93e7ef, 4035cd5d4.