Re: Adding CI to our tree

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Adding CI to our tree
Date: 2022-02-13 21:53:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-02-13 15:31:20 -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Oh - I suppose you're right. That's an unfortunate consequence of running a
> single prove instance without chdir.

I don't think it's chdir that's relevant (that changes into the source
directory after all). It's the TESTDIR environment variable.

I was thinking that we should make Utils.pm's INIT block responsible for
figuring out both the directory a test should run in and the log location,
instead having that in vcregress.pl and Makefile.global.in. Mostly because
doing it in the latter means we can't start tests with different TESTDIR and
working dir at the same time.

If instead we pass the location of the top-level build and top-level source
directory from vcregress.pl / Makefile.global, the tap test infrastructure can
figure out that stuff themselves, on a per-test basis.

For msvc builds we probably would need to pass in some information that allow
Utils.pm to set up PATH appropriately. I think that might just require knowing
that a) msvc build system is used b) Release vs Debug.

Greetings,

Andres Freund