Re: 2022-02-10 release announcement draft

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2022-02-10 release announcement draft
Date: 2022-02-07 03:20:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 06, 2022 at 08:01:02PM -0500, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is a draft for the release announcement for the 2022-02-10
> cumulative update release.
>
> Please review for technical accuracy or if you believe any items should be
> added/removed. Please provide feedback no later than 2020-02-10 0:00 AoE[1].

I guess you mean 2022 ;)

> * The [`psql`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-psql.html)
> `\password` command now defaults to setting the password for to the role defined
> by `CURRENT_USER`. Additionally, the role name is now included in the password
> prompt.

s/for to/for/

> * Build extended statistics for partitioned tables. If you previously added
> extended statistics to a partitioned table, you can fix this by running
> [`ANALYZE`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-analyze.html).
> [`autovacuum`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/routine-vacuuming.html#AUTOVACUUM)
> currently does not process these statistics, so you must periodically run
> `ANALYZE` on any partitioned tables that are using extended statistics.

Instead of "you can fix this" , I suggest to say "you should run ANALYZE on
those tables to collect updated statistics."

It should say "not process these TABLES" (not stats), and should not say "that
are using extended statistics" since partitioned tables should be manually
analyzed whether or not they have extended stats.

It's good to say "..you should periodically run ANALYZE on partitioned tables
to collect updated statistics." (even though this patch doesn't change that).

> * Fix crash with [multiranges](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/rangetypes.html)
> when extracting a variable-length data types.

remove "a" or s/types/types/

> * Disallow altering data type of a partitioned table's columns when the
> partitioned table's row type is used as a composite type elsewhere.

the data types ?

--
Justin