Re: Adding CI to our tree

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Adding CI to our tree
Date: 2022-02-03 19:57:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-02-02 21:58:28 -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> FYI: I've rebased these against your cirrus/windows changes.

Did you put then on a dedicated branch, or only intermixed with other changes?

> A recent cirrus result is here; this has other stuff in the branch, so you can
> see the artifacts with HTML docs and code coverage.

I'm a bit worried about the increased storage and runtime overhead due to the
docs changes. We probably can make it a good bit cheaper though.

> https://github.com/justinpryzby/postgres/runs/5046465342

> 95793675633 cirrus: spell ccache_maxsize

Yep, will apply with a bunch of your other changes, if you answer a question
or two...

> e5286ede1b4 cirrus: avoid unnecessary double star **

Can't get excited about this, but whatever.

What I am excited about is that some of your other changes showed that we
don't need separate *_artifacts for separate directories anymore. That used to
be the case, but an array of paths is now supported. Putting log, diffs, and
regress_log in one directory will be considerably more convenient...

> 03f6de4643e cirrus: include hints how to install OS packages..

What's the idea behind

#echo 'deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main' >>/etc/apt/sources.list

That's already in sources.list, so I'm not sure what this shows?

I think it may be a bit cleaner to have the "install additional packages"
"template step" be just that, and not merge in other contents into it?

> 39cc2130e76 cirrus/linux: script test.log..

I still don't understand what this commit is trying to achieve.

> 398b7342349 cirrus/macos: uname -a and export at end of sysinfo

Shrug.

> 9d0f03d3450 wip: cirrus: code coverage

I don't think it's good to just unconditionally reference the master branch
here. It'll do bogus stuff once 15 is branched off. It works for cfbot, but
not other uses.

Perhaps we could have a cfbot special case (by checking for a repository
variable variable indicating the base branch) and show the incremental changes
to that branch? Or we could just check which branch has the smallest distance
in #commits?

If cfbot weren't a thing, I'd just make a code coverage / docs generation a
manual task (startable by a click in the UI). But that requires permission on
the repository...

Hm. I wonder if cfbot could maintain the code not as branches as such, but as
pull requests? Those include information about what the base branch is ;)

Is looking at the .c files in the change really a reliable predictor of where
code coverage changes? I'm doubtful. Consider stuff like removing the last
user of some infrastructure or such. Or adding the first.

> bff64e8b998 cirrus: upload html docs as artifacts
> 80f52c3b172 wip: only upload changed docs

Similar to the above.

> 7f3b50f1847 pg_upgrade: show list of files copied only in vebose mode

I think that should be discussed on a different thread.

> 97d7b039b9b vcregress/ci: test modules/contrib with NO_INSTALLCHECK=1

Probably also worth breaking out into a new thread.

> 654b6375401 wip: vcsregress: add alltaptests

I assume this doesn't yet work to a meaningful degree? Last time I checked
there were quite a few tests that needed to be invoked in a specific
directory. In the meson branch I worked around that by having a wrapper
around the invocation of individual tap tests that changes CWD.

Greetings,

Andres Freund