Re: Ensure that STDERR is empty during connect_ok

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Ensure that STDERR is empty during connect_ok
Date: 2022-02-02 15:01:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Feb-02, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> As part of the NSS patchset, quite a few bugs (and NSS quirks) were found by
> inspecting STDERR in connect_ok and require it to be empty. This is not really
> NSS specific, and could help find issues in other libraries as well so I
> propose to apply it regardless of the fate of the NSS patchset.
>
> (The change in the SCRAM tests stems from this now making all testruns have the
> same number of tests. While I prefer to not plan at all and instead run
> done_testing(), doing that consistently is for another patch, keeping this with
> the remainder of the suites.)

Since commit 405f32fc4960 we can rely on subtests for this, so perhaps
we should group all the tests in connect_ok() (including your new one)
into a subtest; then each connect_ok() calls count as a single test, and
we can add more tests in it without having to change the callers.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
Al principio era UNIX, y UNIX habló y dijo: "Hello world\n".