Re: Support for NSS as a libpq TLS backend

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi" <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com" <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com" <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Support for NSS as a libpq TLS backend
Date: 2022-02-01 21:52:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-02-01 15:12:28 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> The concern about the documentation not being easily available is
> certainly something to consider. I remember in prior reviews not having
> that much difficulty looking up documentation for functions

I've definitely several times in the course of this thread asked for
documentation about specific bits and there was none. And not just recently.

> All that said, while have documentation on the web is nice and all, it
> seems to still be in the source, at least when I grabbed NSPR locally
> with apt-get source and looked at PR_Recv, I found:

What I'm most concerned about is less the way individual functions work, and
more a bit higher level things. Like e.g. about not being allowed to
fork. Which has significant design implications given postgres' process
model...

I think some documentation has been re-uploaded in the last few days. I recall
the content around https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/NSS
being gone too, last time I checked.

> So, it's not the case that the documentation is completely gone and
> utterly unavailable to those who are interested in it, it's just in the
> source rather than being on a nicely formatted webpage. One can find it
> on the web too, naturally:

> https://github.com/thespooler/nspr/blob/29ba433ebceda269d2b0885176b7f8cd4c5c2c52/pr/include/prio.h#L1424

> (no idea what version that is, just found a random github repo with it,
> but wouldn't be hard to import the latest version).

It's last been updated 2015...

There's https://hg.mozilla.org/projects/nspr/file/tip/pr/src - which is I
think the upstream source.

A project without even a bare-minimal README at the root does have a "internal
only" feel to it...

Greetings,

Andres Freund