Re: Is there a way (except from server logs) to know the kind of on-going/last checkpoint?

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sergey Dudoladov <sergey(dot)dudoladov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Is there a way (except from server logs) to know the kind of on-going/last checkpoint?
Date: 2022-01-27 10:56:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 10:53:32AM +0100, Sergey Dudoladov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > Here's v2, rebased onto the latest master.
>
> I've reviewed this patch. The patch builds against the master (commit
> e9d4001ec592bcc9a3332547cb1b0211e8794f38) and passes all the tests.
> The patch does what it intends to do, namely store the kind of the
> last checkpoint in the control file and display it in the output of
> the pg_control_checkpoint() function and pg_controldata utility.

I don't agree with that.

What it's showing is the "currently ongoing checkpoint or last completed
checkpoint" kind. It's still not possible to know if a checkpoint is in
progress or not and any kind of information related to it, so I'm not sure how
useful this will be compared to a checkpoint progress view.

Also, it's only showing the initial triggering conditions of checkpoints.
For instance, if a timed checkpoint is started and then a backend executes a
"CHECKPOINT;", it will upgrade the ongoing checkpoint with additional flags but
AFAICS those new flags won't be saved to the control file.